Friday, November 7, 2014

Bringing books to life

In the past few years, I've read several blogs where a favorite book was brought to life through miniatures, felt boards or crafts. I've been secretly envious of the ingenuity of the moms who were able to make that happen. But this week, the cosmic forces aligned and this phenomena happened in our house!



DJ received the Little Blue Truck book for his birthday from his Great-Grandma. I had never read it before but it's a sweet little book about a truck making friends with a number of farm animals including a cow, sheep, pig, horse, chicken, goat, duck ... and a green toad... and helping a dump truck in need.

As it just happened, he also received the Animal Planet Mega Farm Playset that included all of those animals except the toad but I pulled a tree frog from our Safari Rainforest Toob (frog - toad, what's the difference, right?) I found a blue matchbox truck and a big dump truck and we were set.

DJ had a blast acting out the story this way. I think I read the story through nearly a dozen times. This is the only picture I was able to take because DJ wouldn't leave the pieces still. Even here, he's moving the dump truck as I'm snapping the photo.

I am loving DJ's interest in books these days and wanting to have stories read over and over again.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just love how they are so engaged with the story when there are props? It amazes me every time. We have a little figure 8 wooden train set, and once I brought it out and laid out his book "Hello, Freight Train" next to it. We read it, and after each page, I moved the train around. He kept asking for a repeat! Loved reading this little post of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Elaine! This obsession DJ has with books right now is magical. He's heard me read Little Blue Truck so many times now he practically has it memorized. It's so much fun!

      Delete